Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Want One!

My sister-in-law was telling me that my niece wanted me to make her something cool.  So I had Jenny take some pictures of her room, tell me what colors she liked, and what she was into.  She loves hot pink and purple and animal prints. Surprise!  I think all girls go through this color scheme phase...but it really makes for a fun project.  And of course the more glitter the better!  So I got to go shopping...again, I have two boys and don't get to play with this stuff often, shopping for pink and purple and animal prints!!! I am in.  I wanted to do her name, so I went to the handy dandy wood shop (the only thing besides my wonderful neighbors that I will miss from Utah) and picked out some girly letters.


They were perfect for her.  Next I had to decide what would go best with the colors she liked and the animal print, so I went with plain black letters.  This seems easy enough, but note, don't sand your pieces in the same room you paint them black.  Doesn't mix.  I will think long and hard before I paint all black anything in the future.  But I am glad I went with it...


Next I tortured Noah, and had him sift through all the papers I had bought to find the perfect ones for each letter.  The only one that I wouldn't budge on was the "B".  I loved that paper, and in fact, I sent Jenny a picture of that paper and Brooke had just bought that exact paper for a school project.  I am so good, I read minds all the way to Pennsylvania! Ha!


I used pink glitter zebra print for the "B", leopard print for the "o" and "e" and a regular print for the second "o", and purple glitter paper for the "k".  The small chipboard heart is covered with alligator paper though you can't really tell from this picture.  And at this point, it is time for the fun to begin!  Its like dress up:)




B:  I used buttons and glitter in each of the swirls on all the letters.  The heart is surrounded with hot pink toole and some sparkly scrapbook fibers.  Its topped off with a glittered pink jewel.


R:  Black and white paper flowers, scrapbook fibers, and diamond jewels.


O:  I used 3 double sided zebra buttons, diamond jewels, and scrapbook paper stickers at the bottom.


 O:  Black and white paper flowers and some cool fibers I found in the upholstery trim section.  You would be surprised where you can find stuff to decorate these letters!  Thank you Melissa for that little tip!


K:  The "k" is several different scrapbook fibers and a sequin rope.  I bought a horse charm to hang on this letter.  It doesn't really go with the whole animal print theme, but she LOVES them...and you can't do something for a horse lover without slipping a horse charm in there!


 E:  More black and white paper flowers and buttons with diamond jewels.

Here they are all together.  It turned out soooooo good. 


Moral of the story for the fam...all you have to do is ask and something will magically appear one day on your front porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment