Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Can I Get A Snowman Please? Or Five?

I spent most of my childhood in a ceramic's shop where my grandmother painted.  She had a very particular style and was an extremely talented woman.  I picked up quite a few tricks and traditional techniques from my time spent there.  I have been dabbling in ceramics just a little over the years, and picked up this super cute little piece at a local ceramic shop. 


I initially stopped by to find something for Cayden to paint for Christmas gifts and they had nothing....except this sweet little snowman family.  So I picked it up.  It sat on a shelf in my crafty room (slash laundry, slash storage room) for about a month, and as usual, I forgot about it.  One of the guys I work with was looking for a non-Christmas snowman for his wife.  She loves them and he buys her a new one every year.  He asked if I could paint a picture of one...no way....I don't do pictures, but wait, didn't I have a little snowman family sitting on my shelf?  I took a picture of it and asked him if this would work as the "just because" gift for his wife.  I told him I could paint it however he wanted.  He gave me free reign (he said he "trusted" my judgment....wahahaha) on the piece so here is what I came up with...


I painted the piece with really bright colors, then drybrushed (which I hadn't done since I was a child, and suprisingly it turned out great) the arms, scarves, hats, and earmuffs.  I used a diamond acrylic paint to accent the scarves and hats, and gold stain for the bells.  I hated to see this go, I fell in love with it...but it was totally worth it to see his face when I brought it in to work.  His wife LOVED it.  And that was enough for me.  It wasn't enough for him, so he MADE me take payment for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment