Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy St. Patty's Day Month!

I was thinking I needed something for my door for every month, so I have decided to start the projects.  My first month is of course March, so I went with "Luck".  Each month I will make a new door hanger project.  So.  Here we go!


The set came with the wooden "Luck" and the two overlay chipboard pieces for the "L" and "C". 


I bought 3 little chipboard shamrocks to use on this piece, even though at this point I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do with them.  The demo that was shown when I bought this was very simple with just solid painted letters that were all a different color, with a bow at the top of the wire hanger.  I was less than impressed with this....I like fun...and glitter, so that is all I knew I wanted to do.  I painted the base and "C" in Leaf Green, and the "L" and shamrocks in Christmas green.  The buttons, or medium wooden circles, are painted in antique gold.


I started by gluing the "U" and "K" papers down.  Always work from the lowest layer up.  It can be tricky if you forget and glue the top layers down.  And remember when you paint the front of the the piece, it doesn't have to be perfect, just nice around the edges that will be shown. Next, I used hot glue to secure the "L" and the "C" over the wood piece. 


I glittered all three of the shamrocks, but still didn't know what I was going to do with them.  I also glittered my "buttons" and the "L" and "C".  I decided at this point that I wanted the "L" to have a top hat and gold buttons down it's shirt. So I cut the felt top hat in half so it would lay flat against the door.  Next I needed to add the wire since once I had the top hat glued down, I wouldn't be able to secure the wire.  So.  Wire check.  I positioned the top hat, and tied black, gold, and light green ribbon.  I left the ends long on the light green to secure the first shamrock on the top hat. I finished it off by gluing the top of the hat to the top of the "L", the buttons, and the shamrock on the "C".  I tied the remaining ribbon bow on the top, and alternated dark green and black ribbon down the leg of the leg of the "K".  Turned out great, considering I had no idea what I was going to do with it when I started! 

Materials:

-2 chipboard shamrocks
-3 wooden medium circles
-Green glittered jewel
-Ribbon:
     -wide toole gold
     -wide toole black
     -wide toole dark green
     -light green shimmer
-Black felt top hat
-Glitter:
     -pesto green
     -ebony black
-Acrylic paint:
     -Christmas Green
     -Leaf Green
     -Antique Gold



No comments:

Post a Comment