Sunday, March 4, 2012

Is It Summer Yet?

I really wish it was...I am tired of the snow on the ground...and the cold...and the kids cooped up in the house...So I was rummaging through my bin "o" wood in my craft room when I came across a "Summer" I bought a few months...or maybe two years ago...but who's counting.  Having five days off from work can get you caught up on your bin "o" wood...especially if you don't visit the handy dandy wood shop.  This one is really simple, and for once, no glitter...sad...


The set came with the wooden letters and the three wooden knobs.  

I started by painting the letters and knobs.  If you want a washed look, you can add a bit of water to your paint.  You will be able to see the wood grain though the paint.  Here's another hint...If you have pieces that are round (like wooden knobs), you can place them in a round paint tray to dry.  If you don't have a paint try, you can use an egg carton.  Ok, moving on... 

I used garden themed papers that were double sided.  It makes it easier to coordinate your papers if you get them in a set.  I always trace my letters before I paint, and cut them out while my pieces are drying.  Pencil marks get on the wood and then you have to touch up if you have already painted.  I used a chalk ink to distress my paper before I glued them on the wood letters.  It is easier for me, and also I tend to mess up when I ink stuff...it is really hard to get paper off wood when you use Modge Podge... 


To dress up this set, it was pretty simple.  Hot glue the peas (knobs) on top of the "U" or pea pod.  I must insert here that Noah at first thought this was suppose to be watermelon...and was wondering what the wooden balls were for.  And before I am too harsh, it totally could have been a watermelon slice....


Three paper cut flowers, a heart, and a button for the flower.  I inked each flower and used glue dots to assemble them.  You can bend the petals for a 3D look. Cut your heart in half to make the flower's leaves and top off with a button on top.


I tied a cute little spade on the "R" with a thin piece of twine. 


And then whala!


Materials:

-Garden scrapbook papers (double sided)
-Acrylic paint:
     -Ivory
     -Christmas Green
-Gingerbread chalk ink
-Twine
-Garden tool charm
-Button
-Paper flowers (small, medium, and large)
-Paper heart

No comments:

Post a Comment